Details of Ely Cathedral, Cambridgeshire.
“Masonic Bookplates” by Winward Prescot 1918 (public domain) book owned Harvard College Library
> Engravings by François Chiche.
- Some ancient magic instruments
- Seven Seals of St. Jean
- Ancient Sign of Excommunication
AMAZING SCULPTURES BY KRIS KUKSI
Kris Kuksi’s sculptures (facebook), rendered in immaculate detail, evoke a grandeur reminiscent of the Baroque era. Kuksi successfully merges this sumptuous echo of the past with a satirical and critical commentary of our modern industrial world.
Some Strange Things Are Happening To Astronauts Returning To Earth
On the 40th anniversary of the famous ‘Blue Marble’ photograph taken of Earth from space, Planetary Collective presents a short film documenting astronauts’ life-changing stories of seeing the Earth from the outside – a perspective-altering experience often described as the Overview Effect.
The Overview Effect, first described by author Frank White in 1987, is an experience that transforms astronauts’ perspective of the planet and mankind’s place upon it. Common features of the experience are a feeling of awe for the planet, a profound understanding of the interconnection of all life, and a renewed sense of responsibility for taking care of the environment.
‘Overview’ is a short film that explores this phenomenon through interviews with five astronauts who have experienced the Overview Effect. The film also features insights from commentators and thinkers on the wider implications and importance of this understanding for society, and our relationship to the environment.
• EDGAR MITCHELL – Apollo 14 astronaut and founder of the Institute of Noetic Sciences
• RON GARAN – ISS astronaut and founder of humanitarian organization Fragile Oasis
• NICOLE STOTT – Shuttle and ISS astronaut and member of Fragile Oasis
• JEFF HOFFMAN – Shuttle astronaut and senior lecturer at MIT
• SHANE KIMBROUGH – Shuttle/ISS astronaut and Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army
• FRANK WHITE – space theorist and author of the book ‘The Overview Effect’
• DAVID LOY- philosopher and author
• DAVID BEAVER – philosopher and co-founder of The Overview Institute
Produced by: GUY REID, STEVE KENNEDY, CHRISTOPHER FERSTAD
Director: GUY REID
Editor: STEVE KENNEDY
Director of Photography: CHRISTOPHER FERSTAD
Original Score: HUMAN SUITS
Dubbing Mixer: PATCH MORRISON
Filmed with Canon 5D Mk ii.
Additional footage from NASA / ESA archives
Duration: 19 minutes
one of the most interesting things i noticed here was i have these feelings myself… and i have noticed more and more human beings feeling this way as of late.
The Illumination of the Cross in Saint Peter’s Basilica on Good Friday, by Giovanni Battista Piranesi (etching) and Louis Jean Desprez (watercolor), at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1787